Friday, December 14, 2012

What do I have to complain about?!?

This morning on my way to work after dropping off the kids I was driving on a downtown road and I saw a bike with a couple wagons tied up behind it. They were filled to the top with pop cans. Upon further examination I noticed a man (or woman) sleeping on the park bench next to his bike holding onto the tire and covered in a thin blanket. I sat at this red light until the person behind me honked their horn for me to go just staring at this.


You see, I complain quite often about things. Sometimes I feel like it’s a talent that I have. Seriously though, I’ll complain because the Diet Mountain fountain pop mixture isn’t very good at the Casey’s closest to my house. I’ll complain because the brand of toilet paper they have on sale isn’t my favorite and I have to spend the extra few bucks to get what I “like.” I’ll complain because my kids are wrestling and running around and being loud and I’ve had a long day at work. I’ll complain because my laundry is building up and I have so much “work” to do around my house! Who am I kidding here?

~ I have enough money to afford me luxuries like a fountain pop from a gas station. Why is it bad if it isn’t 100% to what I think it should be like?

~ I have enough money to actually afford toilet paper, no matter what brand is chosen. Why am I so picky on brand? Some people don’t have any…

~ I have the greatest kids I could have ever dreamed of. If they are happy, being loud, loving each other … why is this bad?

~ I have a good job that allows me to provide for my family. I may be tired at night, but it shouldn’t be seen as a bad thing.

~ I have a BEAUTIFUL home that is LIVED in by a wonderful family. Cleaning it up should remind me just how blessed I am to have a roof over my head. Vacuuming up crumbs should remind me that we had that delicious meal. Picking up toys should also remind me that happiness and love lives in this home!

During this Christmas season I know I’m not going to be able to forget that image that I saw this morning. It’s what I do now that makes the world of difference. I want to use this time of year to continue teaching my kids the value of what we have, not just what we want or expect. Because one day we could be that person on the park bench or know someone who is.



No comments:

Post a Comment