Monday, April 11, 2011


So our Cincinnati trip didn't go quite as we had envisioned. Turns out they discovered some swelling in a NEW location in Birks' airway so they aren't quite sure he is ready. They can't go in and do surgery on an already swollen area which will only become more swollen and irritated with surgery. We aren't 100% sure that the cause was from a change that was made to an inhaled steroid that he takes by his local pulmonologist, but it likely to be a contributing factor. We are most frustrated that we are hearing conflicting things from doctors who are supposed to be experts. Turns out I do have to go to extra lengths and contact Cincinnati every time I have a question or need some direction. So, long story short we head back in August for what we hope to be a final evaluation and then surgery in September. We are praying that we find some direction for some unanswered concerns we have now that surgery has been delayed. Please pray for guidance for our family and that things will fall into place and our little guy is taken care of.

On a positive note Birk got to attend his first even MLB game. We went to the Reds/Astros game. Although the final score was not what we had hoped, it was a wonderful experience. Birk ended up getting on the Jumbo tron at the game. I asked him to show his teeth and he did. He is also the only child in the world (well, at least that I know) that also orders nachos and a banana at a game. I was pleased/not pleased to have to pay $2.50 for a banana... a BANANA! I guess I can't be upset that he chose a healthy option! :-)

Birk was very happy to be home and see his BFF Addy. They were both so happy to play on Thursday morning and VERY sad to say goodbye when Nick took Addy to daycare and Birk stayed home w/ his nurse. That warms my heart that they love each other so much (and makes me sad that they are separated each day). I guess I should count my blessings now that they want to spend time together and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment