Monday, August 7, 2017

Finding out #1

I realized the other day that I am not sure I have ever blogged about finding out how we were pregnant with this sweet little girl... then it got me thinking, have I ever told how we found out with the twins?  I haven't... and I have a good excuse.  In some ways maybe I felt embarrassed at the adventure that we had with the twins.  So, here goes...

Nick and I had been married for 3 years or so.  We knew we always wanted kids, but also knew that we might run into some issues.  We started 'trying' knowing it might take us a while.  About a year into trying, we knew that we weren't having much luck and quite frankly were becoming very discouraged.  So we began to seek help.  We worked with my general doctor, then my OBGYN... both of which had things we could try, but nothing worked.  Finally, we knew if I was going to carry a child that we would have to go further.  We began seeing Dr. Cooper at Mid Iowa Fertility.  Dr. Cooper had a few quick things to try, but ultimately laid out the plan for us... which would include IVF.  We started with oral drugs, some small procedures to help stimulate our bodies to work together.  Nothing worked.

So we moved to more advanced drugs... and then we got the call.  The call that forced us to make one of the toughest decisions... and quickest decisions of our lives.  The drugs worked.  I had ovulated... and ovulated a lot.  Dr. Cooper said we had one of two options.  Either do nothing and stay away from each other for a while... or we could convert to IVF.  Essentially he would take all the eggs I produced, find the best most viable ones and fertilize those with the strongest of Nick's little swimmers.  We didn't know what to do.  Where would we get the money?  Were we ready for IVF?  I mean I had ovulated... we had success... did we want to go this far this soon?  We called my parents who we knew would help us make this decision.  As I was telling my mom the story and frantically telling her we had one hour to decide (because anyone who has ever done any sort of fertility treatment knows that time is of the essence) my Dad yelled over to her and said the words that I will never forget.  'You convert it.  Those are your babies!'  So we called Dr. Cooper and within an hour we were back in the office and we had begun the process (also, it was a Sunday night.. that is how dedicated these doctors/nurses are at Mid Iowa Fertility).

To make a very long story short... here is how the next month or so played out....

  • Wait 5 days to let the eggs become fertilized
  • Get a call with the # of eggs that were viable.. (We had 5, 2 of which were STRONG, 3 not so strong)
  • Implant the 2 strong eggs (with the hopes that at least one will take)
  • Wait TWO WEEKS (longest 14 days of my life) to see if I was even pregnant
  • Go to the office on a Saturday morning for a pregnant test
  • Wait a couple hours for the results
  • Receive a call (while your packing your husband up to go tailgate in Ames) where the nurse tells you that you are pregnant and your numbers are strong.  
Receiving that call was the most exciting thing I had ever experienced.  We wanted this SO BAD.  We didn't plan for it to be this path, but it made sense and about month later we would again have good news telling us that we were pregnant with twins.  BOTH EGGS TOOK!  

So there it is.  It was a battle we fought together with many tears, many moments of not knowing what we were going to do.  However, God works his miracles through the doctors who supported us along this journey.  The times we cried together thinking we'd never get pregnant.  The moment we heard those words 'you're pregnant.'  

God is good.  All the time. 

Stay tuned for my next post on how we found #2....  

No comments:

Post a Comment