Sunday, September 9, 2012

My dad

NOTE:  Sad, sappy post below!  Consider yourself warned! 

Lately, I've been very much missing my dad.  I miss hearing his voice.  I miss watching Hawkeye sports with him.  I miss watching him sleep in his recliner while I watched TV or talked to my mom.  I missed watching him with his grandkids. I miss his hands.  I used to admire my dad's hands and now thinking back I know its because I looked at them as protecting.  He protected us in his own quiet way.  I miss the smell of Old Spice in the basement bathroom at my parents house.  I miss seeing his black shows sitting in front of the desk.  You see I miss it ALL!  

I know that he is living in the most glorious place ever.  He is watching us every day while he plays golf with his dad (whom he hasn't seen since he was 18), loving every minute of his time with his son, Tim,  who my parents lost when he was only 6 months old, catching up with his friends who passed before he did and just enjoying every minute he spends at the foot of Christ.  How can I be sad that he isn't here when he gets to be there.  The thing is that I feel selfish.  I want him here.  I want him to get to know my kids and how wonderful they are turning out to be.  I want him here to be with our family to see our family, and see how awesome everyone is turning out to be.  I want him to be at Tim's wedding and watch his first grandson marry such an awesome woman whom we all love (and who my dad would love too even though she is a Cyclone).  

I know that one day I will be with my dad again.  I can't wait.  Until then, I will remind my babies just how amazing of a father I had.  He taught me love, friendship, and faith.  In his own quiet way I know that he loved us all, he loved Christ and lived his life the way I want to live.  I'm beyond proud to be his daughter.   Every time I swing a golf club, cheer for the Hawks and say a prayer I know he is looking down and is smiling.  

Dad, I miss you beyond words.  I miss you each and every day.  Thank you for blessing my life the way you did.  I promise to live each day and always try to make you proud.  I love you! 

P.S.  If you're dad (or anyone you love) is still alive, please give him an extra hug or "I love you" today in honor of those of us that can't.  Cherish your loved ones while you can.  There will come a day when you can't to do those things.  It hurts bad to not be able to say those things, see them, hear or hug them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment